A Comprehensive Guide to Tax Registration and Deadlines for UK Construction Companies


Navigating the tax landscape in the UK can be daunting for construction companies, particularly when it comes to understanding the various registrations and deadlines required for compliance. This article provides an in-depth look at the key tax obligations for limited construction companies in the UK, including Corporation Tax registration, the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), and important deadlines.

Corporation Tax Registration

Understanding Corporation Tax

Corporation Tax is a tax on the profits of limited companies and other organisations, including clubs, societies, and associations. As a construction company operating as a limited entity, you are required to pay Corporation Tax on your taxable profits. This includes money earned from trading, investments, and the sale of assets.

Registration Process

1. Incorporate Your Company: Before you can register for Corporation Tax, your company must be incorporated with Companies House. This process involves submitting various details about your company, including its name, directors, and shareholders.
2. Register for Corporation Tax: Once incorporated, you must register for Corporation Tax within three months of starting your business activities. This can be done online through the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website. You will need your company’s Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), which is sent to your company’s registered office address shortly after incorporation.
3. Filing Accounts and Tax Returns: Your company’s annual accounts must be filed with Companies House, and a Company Tax Return (CT600) must be submitted to HMRC. The deadline for filing your Company Tax Return is 12 months after the end of your accounting period, although the tax must be paid within nine months and one day of the end of the accounting period.

Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)

What is CIS?

The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) is a set of special rules for handling payments made by contractors to subcontractors for construction work. Under CIS, contractors must deduct money from subcontractors’ payments and pass it to HMRC. These deductions count as advance payments towards the subcontractor’s tax and National Insurance.

CIS Registration

1. Who Needs to Register?: Both contractors and subcontractors must register for CIS. If your company operates as a contractor, you are required to register. Subcontractors should also register, although it is not mandatory. However, if a subcontractor is not registered, higher deductions will be applied to their payments.
2. How to Register: Registration for CIS can be done online through the HMRC website. Contractors will need their UTR, while subcontractors will need their National Insurance number or UTR.
3. Monthly Returns: Contractors must submit monthly CIS returns to HMRC. These returns detail the payments made to subcontractors and any deductions taken. Returns are due by the 19th of each month following the month in which the payments were made.

Important Deadlines

CIS Monthly Returns: Due by the 19th of each month.
Payment of Deductions: Deductions must be paid to HMRC by the 22nd of each month if paying electronically, or by the 19th if paying by post.

Key Tax Deadlines for Construction Companies

Corporation Tax Deadlines

Annual Accounts: Due at Companies House nine months after your company’s financial year-end.
Company Tax Return (CT600): Due 12 months after the end of your company’s accounting period.
Corporation Tax Payment: Due nine months and one day after the end of your company’s accounting period.

CIS Deadlines

Monthly Returns: Due by the 19th of each month.
Payment of Deductions: Due by the 22nd of each month if paying electronically, or by the 19th if paying by post.

Tips for Staying Compliant

1. Set Up Reminders: Use digital tools or set calendar reminders for all tax-related deadlines to avoid late fees and penalties.
2. Keep Detailed Records: Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of all transactions, payments, and deductions to ensure your filings are accurate.
3. Consult a Professional: Consider hiring an accountant or tax advisor with experience in the construction industry to help navigate complex tax regulations and ensure compliance.
4. Regularly Review Guidelines: Tax regulations can change, so regularly reviewing HMRC guidelines and staying informed about updates is crucial.


Understanding and complying with tax obligations is crucial for the smooth operation of construction companies in the UK. By registering for Corporation Tax and CIS, and adhering to the necessary deadlines, construction companies can avoid penalties and ensure they remain in good standing with HMRC. Taking proactive steps to manage these responsibilities will contribute to the overall financial health and success of your construction business.