Nonsmoking ordinances and the pursuit of society for a healthier lifestyle has led to a decline in the public’s smoking rate. With this drop, the tobacco industry introduced new ways to deliver nicotine to consumers. Among these products are smokeless and spitless tobacco goods to offer that nicotine fix to users. These products are also introduced and innovated in an effort to expand the marketplace.
The effects of nicotine and smoking are plentiful. Although tobacco has always been associated with being harmful, there is also a positive impact of nicotine on human performance. These effects include the enhancement in attention, cognition, motor abilities, and memory, among others.
If you do not prefer cigarettes and cigars but would like to get nicotine, here are some of the types of smokeless tobacco products you can try.
A smokeless and spitless tobacco product, the snus is presented in a pouch that the consumer can put between their gums and upper lip. The snus started in Sweden as a way to preserve the tobacco industry and has now grown to have more than 150 different types. One popular type is the Siberia snus due to its unbelievable nicotine content and its flavors. Some variants of the Siberia snus can be bought online and is very much popular with seasoned nicotine consumers. With a nicotine content of 43 mg of nicotine, it is also offered in different sachet sizes and flavors of mint and chocolate among others.
Loose snus has different coarseness and can be in the original portion packaged in dark bags or all white, which is a snus with washed tobacco. The variety of snus can further be categorized by its format, strength and taste. Format refers to the portion of snus and can range from large to mini. The level of snus has one to four, with one being the original or normal strength and four being ultra-strong.
Snuff is made of dried and finely ground tobacco leaves that are packaged in pouches similar to tea bags. This tobacco product comes in various scents and flavors, which can be dry or moist. Moist snuff is placed either between the cheek and gum or between the upper and lower lip. Dry snuff, on the other hand, can be inhaled through the nose. The process of inhaling dry snuff is also called dipping. Only a pinch of snuff is needed to get the effect of nicotine as it is swiftly absorbed in the bloodstream.
An electronic cigarette also called vaporizers or vaping devices, are battery-powered devices that orally deliver nicotine vapor. It provides the physical stimulation of smoking a conventional cigarette without tobacco and smoke.
The instruments come in varying designs, shapes, and sizes. And although no tobacco is used in e-cigarettes, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) categorizes them as tobacco products. Vaping, especially in teens, is also increasing due to the fact that most do not realize that vaping cartridges contain nicotine and not only flavoring. The devices are also becoming accessible to many, not to mention the absence of cigarette stench.
Also called nicotine lozenges and are used for nicotine replacement therapy. It is considered an over-the-counter medication and is a small and candy-like tablet with a variety of flavors. It is taken orally and allowed to dissolve in the mouth for the nicotine to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Nicorette, Nicorette Mini Lozenge, and Commit are popular brands of dissolvable tobaccos in 2 and 4 mg. Common side effects of these tablets are hiccups, indigestion, and sore throat.
Smokeless tobacco products made from cured and loose tobacco leaves. Users keep this product in their mouth between the cheek and the gums for several hours to get the nicotine from the tobacco leaf. This product can be in the form of loose leaves, bits, plugs, and twists. Bits are the tobacco leaves rolled into small pellets while plugs are the leaves pressed together with a sweetener such as licorice or other flavorings forming a brick. Twist tobacco are leaves rolled int long strips and twisted together.
Users of chewing tobacco usually spit out the nicotine juice, while some swallow it. In different parts of the world, there are also other varieties of chewing tobacco.
- Paan or Betel Quid with Tobacco
- Found in Central, East, South, South-East Asia, and in most Indian states. This consists of areca nut, betel leaf, catechu, and slaked lime plus other flavorings.
- Popular in Bangladesh, India, and Nepal. It is made of fermented or sun-dried coarsely cut tobacco leaves plus slaked lime.
- Smokeless tobacco in India made up of tobacco leaves that are coarsely shredded.
- Mostly used in Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh, and Nagaland by women, but it is also common in all the states of India.
- Zarda or Vizapatta
- Common in Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. It is made with aromatic spices, fragrances, herbs, menthol, and tobacco flakes plus optional lime.
- Used as a dentifrice or a paste used for cleaning the teeth. It is made up of pyrolysed or decomposed tobacco powder and also has ash of tendu leaves.
- A mixture of catechu, areca nut, lime, and tobacco plus other ingredients. This is common in Maharashtra, India.
- A thick paste made from tobacco leaf extract, musk additives, and various spices such as aniseed, cardamom, and saffron.
- Roasted and powdered and then applied to the gums. It is also used as a dentifrice and is commonly found in Gujarat and Maharashtra, India.
- Tobacco paste made up of gerumati (red soil), sheera (molasses), and fine tobacco leaf dust.
- Naswar or Nass
- Made up of ash, cotton, butter or sesame oil, tobacco, water and sometimes slaked lime or gum. Flavorings can also be added, such as cardamom and menthol.
- Tapkeer or Bajar
- Dry-powdered tobacco in menthol, scented, and unscented varieties. It is used orally or nasally and is commonly found in Europe, India, and the United States.
The following are just some types of smokeless tobacco products. The growing popularity of smokeless tobacco and apparently, the desire of people to quit smoking has given rise to the continuous development of smokeless tobacco products. Whichever type or variety you prefer for your nicotine fix, just remember to take precautions and control your intake.