Thousands of youngsters will take to the water this weekend for a countrywide celebration of sailing as part of British Youth Sailing’s Regional Junior Championships.
Children aged between six and 16 will descend on eight venues across the UK for two days of fun afloat on September 29 and 30.
Among those taking part will be some of the nation’s most promising young racers, as well as a host of kids getting their first taste of sailing.
For the first time, competitors will be split into three fleets – a new Fun OnBoard fleet for newcomers, a coached regatta fleet for those developing their racing skills and a championship fleet for experienced racers.
Members of the British Sailing Team will also be on hand at a number of venues to talk to competitors and give them coaching tips.
Regattas are being held in each of the RYA’s regions and home countries:
– East – Grafham Water SC, Huntingdon, Cambs
– London and South East – Queen Mary SC, Ashford, Surrey
– South and South West – WPNSA, Portland, Dorset
– North – Ullswater SC, Ullswater, Cumbria
– Midlands – Northampton SC, Northampton, East Midlands
– Scotland – Helensburgh SC, Helensburgh
– Wales – Pembrokeshire YC, Milford Haven
– Northern Ireland – Royal North of Ireland YC, Cultra, Co. Down
British Youth Sailing will be running a photo competition for competitors on Instagram during the event, with prizes to be won.
To enter, upload your best photos of the event and tag British Youth Sailing (@britishyouthsailing) or use the hashtag #RJC2018. The winners will be announced following the event.