When it comes to personal safety, measures should be taken seriously. Working in an environment where your health and safety is controlled is something every employee is entitled to in the workplace. When looking for safety workwear and footwear, it is best to get them from a trusted brand, Engelbert Strauss has varieties of the safest workwear and footwear. In this article, we are going to look at why safety shoes are important and everything you need to know about safety workwear.
How do I choose the correct safety footwear and workwear?
To choose the correct safety footwear and workwear, there are many things to be considered. Some of the considerations include:
- First, you need to know to what extent do you need to be safe.
- In what industry you work
- Access the risk you are into, this is commonly decided upon after a risk assessment has been conducted.
- Take precautions by choosing the right safety footwear and workwear.
It is very important to choose the right safety workwear and footwear, as it should fit properly to avoid risks and accidents such as slips and trips. Correct footwear and workwear are important as your work may be of prolonged standing, slippery surfaces, or sharp objects. Safety workwear and footwear is available in various kinds, thus making it easier for the company to find one that will suit their employees. Workers can try on different styles of footwear to see what would fit their line of work. It is important that your footwear can support your feet and is durable at the same time in order to protect your feet from the impact of falling objects, pressure, heat etc.
How to maintain personal protective equipment
PPE stands for Personal Protective Equipment and refers to garments and equipment that are specifically designed to help workers avoid hazards and injuries. Personal protective equipment ensures the safety of the employees in the working field. Tips to maintain your safety equipment:
- Perform an inspection before and after use.
- Always clean your PPE after using it.
- Replace and repair them when they are in bad shape.
- Place them in a clean dry area free from contaminants or exposure to sunlight.
Maintenance of your safety equipment is always recommended for them to be in good shape and to keep you fully safe from all hazards and risks.
When is personal protective equipment used?
Every worker should be evaluated for specific and unique dangers, and appropriate personal protective equipment is required. When using personal protective equipment, it is very important that it is properly fitted and stay on securely without causing discomfort or creating dangers for slipping, getting caught in moving parts, etc.
PPE can be used when:
- You do not want to be in contact with germs thus helping to reduce their spread.
- You want to avoid accidents that may involve blood, bodily fluids and secretions. Gloves may be the best for this.
- You want to maintain your hygiene at all times.
- To protect your full legs, arms and torso against cuts, scrapes, burns, etc.
- Whenever there is a danger of flying debris or harmful dust getting in the eyes.
- In order to protect your feet when there are dangers of falling or heavy equipment/materials.
The safety equipment to be used includes eye protection, earplug, helmets, gloves, safety boots, respiratory protective equipment and coveralls. This equipment should be appropriately worn for it to be effective and for you to be free of risks.
How can you improve your workplace safety?
There are many ways to improve workplace safety. Such include:
- The most effective way is to always have the right safety equipment such as workwear and safety shoes.
- Always make sure your concentration level, alertness level and judgement are highly active to avoid accidents.
- Notify your supervisor in case of any risk as they are obligated to keep your working environment safe.
- Your emergency kit should always be retrievable in case of an emergency.
- Maintaining a good posture at work to reduce slips and falls.
- Make sure you are highly trained when it comes to safety as you will never know when you will need it. First aid is also essential as it gives the most basic effective way on how to handle an emergency.
- Use simplifying tools such as a wheelbarrow or a forklift to lift a heavy object to avoid straining yourself or incurring any possible injury.
- Do not take shortcuts when using tools as this is linked to injuries as the tools may not have been designed for the job.
- Always take regulars breaks when availed as they will help with your focus.
As we always want to do our jobs effectively, we have a right to safety and protection always. Our health is more precious, and it is always good to be kept on track. For quality, durability, and best service, Engelbert Strauss offers the best safety workwear and equipment.