Morrisons is introducing a “We’ll Weigh What You Need” service at its fresh food counters to help customers purchase the exact amounts of food they need.
The service aims to reduce the amount of food thrown away in customers’ homes, which according to the government’s Food Waste Champion amounts to £500-a-year for each household in the country.
Morrisons will be offering the service from its fresh food counters, where customers will be able to buy the exact amounts of food required to make popular dishes.
Morrisons has listened to many customers who say they struggle to know how much food to buy and to many young, single or empty-nester households who are looking for alternatives to ‘preset’ larger pack sizes which can lead to increased amounts of food waste.
As part of ‘We’ll Weigh What You Need”:
- Morrisons butchers, fishmongers and deli specialists will serve the exact amounts customers need for popular dishes from chilli con carne to fish pie. This will take into account the number of people they are feeding, or the budget they’re working towards.
- Guidance on the number of portion sizes will be written on counter labels for cuts of meat, fish, cheese, tapas and olives to help guide customers.
- Signage and recipe ideas at the counters will describe how much of an ingredient should be bought for popular meals.
- Storage, cooking and recipe advice will also be offered to help household budgets stretch that little bit further.
- Environmentally conscious customers can also use their own containers at the Butchery, Fish and Deli counters to reduce plastic usage.
Food waste is one of customers’ top concerns and Morrisons, alongside other businesses, has this week signed up to a number of commitments including pledging to halve food waste by 2030.
Jayne Wall, Director of Market Street operations at Morrisons says:
“Listening to customers has told us they want help at our fresh food counters, because they don’t know how much to buy, they want to reduce their food waste, or they want to reduce the cost of their food shop. Our expert counter staff will help them buy exactly what they need, reducing their food waste bill and saving their pennies in the process.”
‘Weigh What You Need’ is available at Morrisons counters nationwide.